Generic Name and Formulations:
Azithromycin (as dihydrate) 2g; for ext-rel oral susp after reconstitution; cherry-banana flavor; contains 148mg Na+/bottle.
Indications for ZMAX:
Mild-to-moderate susceptible acute bacterial sinusitis in adults. Community-acquired pneumonia in adults and children ≥6mos old.
Adults and Children:
Take on an empty stomach. Sinusitis: 2g once. CAP: <6mos: not established. ≥6mos: <34kg: 60mg/kg (27mg/lb) once; ≥34kg: 2g once. If vomiting occurs within 1 hour post-dose or delayed gastric emptying, consider alternative therapy.
Macrolide or ketolide related allergy. History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction with prior use.
Renal impairment (esp. GFR <10mL/min). Discontinue if signs/symptoms of hepatitis occur. Myasthenia gravis. History of QT prolongation or proarrhythmic conditions. Allergic symptoms may recur after initial successful symptomatic treatment. Neonates: possible infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Possible QT prolongation with concomitant Class 1A (quinidine, procainamide) or Class III (dofetilide, amiodarone, sotalol) antiarrhythmics, or others known to prolong the QT interval; avoid. Potentiated by nelfinavir. Monitor digoxin, cyclosporine, ergots, hexobarbital, phenytoin, warfarin.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, headache; rare: allergy (eg, angioedema, AGEP, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, DRESS), lab abnormalities; hepatotoxicity, torsades de pointes (esp. elderly), C. difficile-associated diarrhea (evaluate if occurs).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling