Generic Name and Formulations:
Dexrazoxane 250mg, 500mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution.
Indications for ZINECARD:
To reduce the incidence and severity of cardiomyopathy associated with doxorubicin administration in women with metastatic breast cancer who have received a cumulative doxorubicin dose of 300mg/m2 and will continue to receive doxorubicin therapy to maintain tumor control.
Give by slow IV push or rapid drip IV infusion. Doxorubicin should be administered within 30 minutes after starting Zinecard infusion. Administer in 10:1 ratio (eg, 500mg/m2 Zinecard: 50mg/m2 doxorubicin). Renal impairment (CrCl <40mL/min): reduce ratio to 5:1 (eg, 250mg/m2 Zinecard: 50mg/m2 doxorubicin). Hepatic impairment: may need to reduce doxorubicin dose, therefore Zinecard dose must be reduced (maintaining 10:1 ratio).
Chemotherapy regimens that do not contain an anthracycline.
Not recommended for use with initiation of doxorubicin. Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor cardiac function and for myelosuppression; obtain CBCs frequently. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Inj site pain, myelosuppression, possible secondary malignancies (see literature).
Single-use vial—1 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation