Generic Name and Formulations:
Bisoprolol (as fumarate), hydrochlorothiazide; 2.5mg/6.25mg, 5mg/6.25mg, 10mg/6.25mg; tabs.
Indications for ZIAC:
Initially one 2.5mg/6.25mg tab once daily. Adjust at 14-day intervals; max two 10mg/6.25mg tabs (20mg bisoprolol + 12.5mg HCTZ) once daily.
Cardiogenic shock. Overt heart failure. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Marked sinus bradycardia. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy.
CHF. Peripheral vascular disease. Bronchospastic disease. Surgery. Thyroid disease. Avoid abrupt cessation. Gout. Arrhythmia. SLE. Postsympathectomy. Excessive fluid loss. Monitor electrolytes, BUN (if high). Discontinue if electrolyte disorders develop rapidly. Diabetes. Hepatic or renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate other antihypertensives, reserpine, guanethidine, other catecholamine-depleting drugs, calcium channel blockers, antiarrhythmics, myocardial depressants, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants. Digitalis, lithium toxicity. Antagonized by rifampin, NSAIDs. Increased rebound hypertension with clonidine withdrawal. Adjust antidiabetic, antigout medications. Hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia more likely with diazoxide. NSAIDs may cause renal failure. ACTH, corticosteroids, amphotericin B increase hypokalemia risk. Orthostatic hypotension with alcohol, CNS depressants. May block epinephrine. May interfere with parathyroid tests.
Cardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
Dizziness, fatigue, cough, insomnia, diarrhea, muscle cramps, impotence.
Tabs 2.5mg/6.25mg, 5mg/6.25mg—100; 10mg/6.25mg—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users