Generic Name and Formulations:
Bisoprolol (as fumarate), hydrochlorothiazide; 2.5mg/6.25mg, 5mg/6.25mg, 10mg/6.25mg; tabs.
Indications for ZIAC:
Initially one 2.5mg/6.25mg tab once daily. Adjust at 14-day intervals; max two 10mg/6.25mg tabs (20mg bisoprolol + 12.5mg HCTZ) once daily.
Cardiogenic shock. Overt heart failure. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Marked sinus bradycardia. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy.
CHF. Peripheral vascular disease. Bronchospastic disease. Surgery. Thyroid disease. Avoid abrupt cessation. Gout. Arrhythmia. SLE. Postsympathectomy. Excessive fluid loss. Monitor electrolytes, BUN (if high). Discontinue if electrolyte disorders develop rapidly. Diabetes. Hepatic or renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Cardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
May potentiate other antihypertensives, reserpine, guanethidine, other catecholamine-depleting drugs, calcium channel blockers, antiarrhythmics, myocardial depressants, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants. Digitalis, lithium toxicity. Antagonized by rifampin, NSAIDs. Increased rebound hypertension with clonidine withdrawal. Adjust antidiabetic, antigout medications. Hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia more likely with diazoxide. NSAIDs may cause renal failure. ACTH, corticosteroids, amphotericin B increase hypokalemia risk. Orthostatic hypotension with alcohol, CNS depressants. May block epinephrine. May interfere with parathyroid tests.
Dizziness, fatigue, cough, insomnia, diarrhea, muscle cramps, impotence.
Tabs 2.5mg/6.25mg, 5mg/6.25mg—100; 10mg/6.25mg—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation