Generic Name and Formulations:
Ezetimibe 10mg; tabs.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ZETIA:
Adjunct to diet, alone or in combination with an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor (statin), in primary hyperlipidemia (heterozygous familial and non-familial) to reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, Apo B, and non-HDL-C. Adjunct to diet and in combination with fenofibrate to reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, Apo B, and non-HDL-C in mixed hyperlipidemia. Adjunct to other lipid-lowering treatments, or if these treatments are unavailable, with atorvastatin or simvastatin to reduce elevated total-C and LDL-C in homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. Adjunct to diet in homozygous familial sitosterolemia to reduce elevated sitosterol and campesterol.
≥10yrs: 10mg once daily. Concomitant bile acid sequestrants: give ezetimibe either ≥2hrs before or ≥4hrs after. Concomitant simvastatin doses >20mg in moderate-to-severe renal impairment: use caution and monitor closely.
<10yrs: not recommended.
The use of ezetimibe with a statin is contraindicated in active liver disease or unexplained persistent elevations in serum transaminases. Statins are contraindicated in pregnancy and nursing.
Moderate to severe hepatic insufficiency: not recommended. If given with a statin: monitor liver function initially and then as recommended for the statin. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Cholesterol absorption inhibitor.
Concomitant fibrates (except fenofibrate): not recommended. Potentiates cyclosporine. Potentiated by fenofibrate, gemfibrozil, cyclosporine. Monitor warfarin, cyclosporine. Antagonized by cholestyramine.
Upper respiratory tract infection, diarrhea, arthralgia, sinusitis, pain in extremity, dizziness, headache, fatigue; rare: myopathy/rhabdomyolysis; w. statin: nasopharyngitis, myalgia, back pain, increased serum transaminases.
For more information on statins, see their entries.
Tabs—30, 90, 500, 5000
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases