Generic Name and Formulations:
Miglustat 100mg; caps.
Indications for ZAVESCA:
Mild to moderate type 1 Gaucher disease when enzyme replacement therapy is not feasible.
≥18yrs: 100mg 3 times daily; may reduce to 100mg once or twice daily if diarrhea or tremor occurs. Mild renal impairment (CrCl 50–70mL/min): 100mg twice daily. Moderate renal impairment (CrCl 30–50mL/min): 100mg once daily. Severe renal impairment: not recommended.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Perform neurological evaluations at baseline, then periodically at 6-month intervals. Reevaluate and consider discontinuation if signs/symptoms of peripheral neuropathy develop (eg, numbness, tingling). GI disease (eg, inflammatory bowel). Use effective methods of contraception during therapy; men should maintain contraception for 3 months after treatment. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Glucosylceramide synthase inhibitor.
May antagonize imiglucerase.
Diarrhea, weight loss, tremor, flatulence, abdominal pain, GI disturbances, weakness, headache, dizziness, paresthesia, cramps, thrombocytopenia, reduced spermatogenesis, peripheral neuropathy.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Tolerability of Novel Long-Acting Injectable Aripiprazole Tested for Bipolar Disorder
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad