Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethosuximide 250mg; caps.
Indications for ZARONTIN:
Initially: 500mg daily. Increase every 4–7 days by 250mg daily according to response; max 1.5g daily in divided doses.
<3yrs: not established. 3–6yrs: initially 250mg daily. >6yrs: initially 500mg daily. Increase both every 4–7 days by 250mg daily according to response; max 1.5g daily in divided doses. Usual maintenance: 20mg/kg/day in divided doses.
Impaired hepatic or renal function. May precipitate tonic-clonic seizures. Discontinue at 1st sign of rash; consider alternative therapy if signs/symptoms of Stevens-Johnson syndrome occurs. Evaluate immediately if signs/symptoms of DRESS/multi-organ hypersensitivity develop; discontinue if no alternative etiology. Monitor for depression, suicidal ideation, unusual changes in mood/behavior. Monitor CBCs, kidney and liver function periodically. Change dose gradually. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Monitor phenytoin, phenobarbital, valproic acid, other AEDs.
Blood dyscrasias, drowsiness, ataxia, dizziness, headache, GI upset, CNS and psychiatric effects, rash (may be fatal), SLE, DRESS, gingival hyperplasia.
Caps, syrup (YES)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders