Generic Name and Formulations:
Streptozocin 1g/vial; pwd for IV inj or infusion after reconstitution/dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for ZANOSAR:
Symptomatic or progressive metastatic pancreatic islet cell cancer.
1g/m2 IV once weekly for 2 weeks; may repeat weekly; max 1.5g/m2 per dose. Or, 500mg/m2 IV daily for 5 days every 6 weeks until max benefit or toxicity.
Should be administered under the supervision of an experienced physician. Have access to a facility with laboratory and supportive resources sufficient to monitor drug tolerance and toxicity. Mutagenic, tumorigenic, or carcinogenic.
Renal dysfunction or disease. Monitor renal function (eg, urinalysis, BUN, creatinine, electrolytes) before, weekly during, and for 4 weeks after therapy; discontinue or reduce dose if significant renal toxicity occurs (see full labeling). Obtain CBCs, liver function tests weekly. Avoid extravasation. Ensure adequate hydration. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant nephrotoxic agents. Additive toxicity with other cytotoxic drugs. Severe bone marrow toxicity with doxorubicin. Phenytoin may reduce cytotoxicity.
GI upset (may be severe); hematological, hepatic and renal (cumulative and dose-related; may be fatal) toxicity; glucose intolerance, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, inj site reactions, CNS effects (eg, confusion, lethargy, depression).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad