ZANAFLEX TABLETS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tizanidine HCl 4mg (quadrisecting score); tabs.
Indications for ZANAFLEX TABLETS:
Muscle spasticity (due to its short duration of action reserve for when relief is most important).
Initially: usually 4mg, may increase by 2–4mg as needed every 6–8 hrs to a max of 3 doses in 24hrs; max 12mg/dose and 36mg/day. Renal impairment (CrCl <25mL/min): reduce dose. May sprinkle contents of capsules on applesauce (may affect absorption). Tabs and caps not bioequivalent under fed conditions. See literature.
Concomitant fluvoxamine, ciprofloxacin.
Hepatic dysfunction. Monitor ophthalmic and liver function (aminotransferases at baseline, 1, 3, 6 months, then periodically) and for orthostatic hypotension. Renal dysfunction. Cardiovascular disease. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid other α2-agonists (eg, clonidine). Hypotension possible with other antihypertensives. Avoid concomitant use with other CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, amiodarone, mexiletine, propafenone, verapamil, cimetidine, famotidine, other fluoroquinolones, oral contraceptives, acyclovir, ticlopidine, zileuton); if clinically necessary, use caution. May potentiate CNS depression with alcohol, baclofen, benzodiazepines, other CNS depressants.
Dry mouth, somnolence, asthenia, dizziness, UTI, constipation, liver injury or elevated liver enzymes, vomiting, speech disorder, blurred vision, dyskinesia, nervousness, pharyngitis, hypotension, bradycardia, hallucinations/psychosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders