ZANAFLEX CAPSULES Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tizanidine HCl 2mg, 4mg, 6mg; caps.
Indications for ZANAFLEX CAPSULES:
Muscle spasticity (due to its short duration of action reserve for when relief is most important).
Initially: usually 4mg, may increase by 2–4mg as needed every 6–8 hrs to a max of 3 doses in 24hrs; max 12mg/dose and 36mg/day. Renal impairment (CrCl <25mL/min): reduce dose. May sprinkle contents of capsules on applesauce (may affect absorption). Tabs and caps not bioequivalent under fed conditions. See literature.
Concomitant fluvoxamine, ciprofloxacin.
Hepatic dysfunction. Monitor ophthalmic and liver function (aminotransferases at baseline, 1, 3, 6 months, then periodically) and for orthostatic hypotension. Renal dysfunction. Cardiovascular disease. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid other α2-agonists (eg, clonidine). Hypotension possible with other antihypertensives. Avoid concomitant use with other CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, amiodarone, mexiletine, propafenone, verapamil, cimetidine, famotidine, other fluoroquinolones, oral contraceptives, acyclovir, ticlopidine, zileuton); if clinically necessary, use caution. May potentiate CNS depression with alcohol, baclofen, benzodiazepines, other CNS depressants.
Dry mouth, somnolence, asthenia, dizziness, UTI, constipation, liver injury or elevated liver enzymes, vomiting, speech disorder, blurred vision, dyskinesia, nervousness, pharyngitis, hypotension, bradycardia, hallucinations/psychosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation