Generic Name and Formulations:
Antihemophilic Factor (recombinant): nominally 250 IU, 500 IU, 1000 IU, or 2000 IU; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; plasma/ albumin-free; preservative-free; contains polysorbate 80.
Indications for XYNTHA:
In Hemophilia A: to control and prevent bleeding episodes, and for perioperative management.
Adults and Children:
Individualize and titrate. Give by IV infusion over several minutes. One IU of factor VIII per kg raises the plasma factor VIII activity by about 2 IU/dL. Bleeding (Minor): factor VIII level required is 20–40 IU/dL or % of normal, repeat infusion every 12–24 hours as needed for at least 1 day, until resolution; (Moderate): 30–60 IU/dL or % of normal; repeat infusion every 12–24 hours for 3–4 days or until hemostasis; (Major): 60–100 IU/dL or % of normal, repeat infusion every 8–24 hours until resolution. Perioperative (Minor): 30–60 IU/dL or % of normal, repeat infusion every 12–24 hours for 3–4 days or until hemostasis; (Major): 60–100 IU/dL or % of normal; repeat infusion every 8–24 hours until hemostasis and wound healing occurs.
Hypersensitivity to hamster proteins.
Discontinue if hypersensitivity reactions occur. Monitor for development of Factor VIII inhibitors; may need dose adjustment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Labor & delivery. Nursing mothers.
Headache, arthralgia, pyrexia, cough, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, asthenia; anaphylaxis.
Kit—1 (w. diluent, supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad