XOPENEX CONCENTRATE Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Levalbuterol (as HCl) (single-isomer albuterol) 1.25mg/0.5mL; per vial; soln for inhalation via nebulization after dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for XOPENEX CONCENTRATE:
Initially 0.63mg by nebulization 3 times daily at 6–8 hr intervals; may increase to 1.25mg 3 times daily.
<6yrs: not established. 6–11yrs: 0.31mg by nebulization 3 times daily; max 0.63mg 3 times daily.
Do not exceed recommended dose. Monitor for increased need; if inadequate control, reevaluate and consider adding an antiinflammatory (eg, corticosteroids). Sensitivity to sympathomimetics. Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm or cardiovascular effects occur. Cardiovascular disorders (esp. coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias, hypertension). Seizure disorders. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Renal impairment; monitor (esp. in elderly). Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Avoid within 2 weeks of MAOIs, tricyclic antidepressants. Avoid other short-acting sympathomimetic aerosol bronchodilators, epinephrine. Antagonized by β-blockers. Caution with other drugs that may lower serum potassium (eg, diuretics). Monitor digoxin.
Accidental injury, bronchitis, dizziness, pain, pharyngitis, rhinitis, vomiting; paradoxical bronchospasm, hypersensitivity reactions, cardiovascular effects, hypokalemia.
Vials (YES); HFA (NO)
Inhaler w. actuator (80inh)—8.4g, (200 inh)—15g; Soln 0.31mg/3mL, 0.63mg/3mL, 1.25mg/3mL—24 vials; Concentrate 1.25mg/0.5mL—30 vials
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Significant Rates of Major Depressive Disorder Found in Dementia
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- TBI Linked to Increased Suicide Risk
- Behavioral Executive Dysfunction Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease
- Factors That Predict Treatment Outcomes, Remission in Pediatric OCD