Generic Name and Formulations:
Acyclovir 5% + hydrocortisone 1%; crm.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for XERESE:
Early treatment of recurrent herpes labialis (cold sores), to reduce likelihood of ulcerative cold sores and shorten lesion healing time in adults and adolescents (≥12yrs old).
Start as soon as possible after the first signs/symptoms emerge (ie, during the prodrome or when lesions appear). Wash and dry area. Apply topically to affected area on lips or around the mouth 5 times daily for 5 days. Avoid unnecessary rubbing of affected area to avoid aggravating or transferring infection. Do not occlude. Wash hands before and after application; wait at least 30 minutes before bathing, showering, or swimming.
Immunocompromised. Reevaluate if symptoms persist more than 2 weeks. Avoid eyes, inside the mouth or nose, or on the genitals. Pregnancy (Cat. B). Nursing mothers.
Do not apply other products (makeup, sunscreen, lip balm, etc) to area during treatment.
Antiviral + antiinflammatory.
Drying, flaking, burning/tingling sensation, erythema, pigmentation changes.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling