Generic Name and Formulations:
Von Willebrand Factor/Factor VIII Complex (human); 500 IU VWF:RCo and 500 IU FVIII activities per 5mL; 1000 IU VWF:RCo and 1000 IU FVIII activities per 10mL; pwd for IV injection after reconstitution; preservative-free; solvent-detergent treated.
Indications for WILATE:
On-demand treatment and control of bleeding episodes in patients with von Willebrand disease (VWD). Perioperative management of bleeding in patients with VWD.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treatment of hemophilia A.
Adults and Children:
<5yrs: contact manufacturer. Give by IV injection at 2–4mL/min. ≥5yrs: Minor bleed: 20–40 IU/kg once, then 20–30 IU/kg every 12–24 hours as needed. Major bleed: 40–60 IU/kg once, then 20–40 IU/kg every 12–24 hours as needed. Surgery (give loading dose within 3hrs before); Minor: 30–60 IU/kg once, then 15–30 IU/kg every 12–24 hours; Major: 40–60 IU/kg once, then 20–40 IU/kg every 12–24 hours. Monitor and adjust according to VWF:RCo and FVIII activity, and location of bleed; usual treatment duration is 3 days (minor hemorrhage, minor surgery), 5–7 days (major hemorrhage), or ≥6 days (major surgery). See full labeling.
Treatment should be supervised by physician trained in coagulopathies. Risk of thrombotic events with sustained excessive FVIII levels; monitor. Ineffectiveness may indicate antibody formation; discontinue if confirmed. Risk of transmission of blood-borne diseases; consider vaccination against hepatitis A and B. Monitor pulse during injection; slow or stop infusion if marked increase in heart rate occurs. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Coagulation factor complex.
Urticaria, dizziness, hypersensitivity reactions; antibody formation.
Kit—1 (w. diluent, supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling