Generic Name and Formulations:
Velaglucerase alfa 400 Units/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Shire US, Inc.
Indications for VPRIV:
Long-term enzyme replacement therapy (ERT) in patients with Type 1 Gaucher disease.
Adults and Children:
<4yrs: not established. Give by IV infusion over 60 minutes. Individualize. ≥4yrs: 60 Units/kg every other week; adjust dose based on therapeutic goals. Begin treatment with Vpriv at the same dose when switching from imiglucerase.
Monitor for hypersensitivity reactions; immediately discontinue and treat appropriately if occur. Temporarily discontinue and resume with increased infusion time, slowing infusion rate, or administer antihistamines, antipyretics, and/or corticosteroids if infusion-related reactions occur. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Lysosomal glucocerebroside-specific enzyme.
Infusion-related reactions, headache, dizziness, abdominal pain, nausea, back pain, joint pain, upper respiratory tract infection, activated PTT prolonged, fatigue/asthenia, pyrexia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders