Generic Name and Formulations:
Oral typhoid vaccine live, attenuated strain Ty21a; e-c caps.
Indications for VIVOTIF:
Immunization against typhoid fever.
Adults and Children:
Do not crush or chew. Give 1 hour before a meal with cold or lukewarm (not >body temp) drink. Complete therapy at least 1 week before expected exposure; may repeat every 5yrs. <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: 1 cap every other day for a total of 4 doses.
Acute febrile or GI illness. Immunocompromised states. Concomitant antibiotics (suboptimal response).
Defer in active infection, fever, persistent diarrhea, or vomiting. Exposure to contaminated food and water should be avoided. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Nausea, abdominal cramps, vomiting, rash, urticaria (all infrequent and transient).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling