Generic Name and Formulations:
Azacitidine 100mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution or IV inj after reconstitution and dilution; contains mannitol; preservative-free.
Indications for VIDAZA:
Myelodysplastic syndromes (refractory anemias, chronic myelomonocytic leukemia).
Premedicate for nausea & vomiting. Rotate SC inj sites. Initially 75mg/m2 SC (doses >4mL divide equally into 2 syringes and inject into 2 separate sites, must administer within 1hr of reconstitution) or IV (infuse over 10–40mins, must complete within 1hr of reconstitution) daily for 7 days; repeat cycle every 4 weeks. May increase to 100mg/m2 after 2 cycles if no response and no toxicity. Treat for at least 4–6 cycles. Adjust subsequent doses based on nadir counts, hematologic response, and toxicities (eg, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, decreased serum bicarbonate, BUN or SCr elevation); see full labeling.
Advanced malignant hepatic tumors.
Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs frequently for response and/or toxicity, at a minimum, prior to each dosing cycle. Renal or hepatic impairment. High tumor burden. Monitor serum bicarbonate, liver chemistries, and serum creatinine prior to initiation and with each cycle. Monitor for tumor lysis syndrome and treat as appropriate. Elderly. Embryo-fetal toxicity. Females and males of reproductive potential should use effective contraception. Pregnancy: avoid; verify status prior to initiation. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Nausea, anemia, thrombocytopenia, vomiting, pyrexia, leukopenia, diarrhea, inj site erythema, constipation, neutropenia, ecchymosis, petechiae, rigors, weakness, hypokalemia; renal failure/tubular acidosis, hepatic coma.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation