Generic Name and Formulations:
Telavancin (as HCl) 750mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for VIBATIV:
Complicated skin and skin structure infections due to susceptible gram (+) bacteria. Hospital-acquired and ventilator-associated bacterial pneumonia (HABP/VABP) due to Staphylococcus aureus.
≥18yrs: Give by IV infusion over 60 mins. Complicated skin and skin structure: treat for 7–14 days. HABP/VABP: treat for 7–21 days. Normal renal function: 10mg/kg once every 24hrs. Renal impairment: CrCl 30–50mL/min: 7.5mg/kg every 24hrs; CrCl 10–<30mL/min: 10mg/kg every 48hrs; CrCl<10mL/min or dialysis: not recommended.
<18yrs: not studied.
Concomitant IV unfractionated heparin sodium.
Increased mortality in patients with pre-existing moderate/severe renal impairment who were treated for HABP/VABP. Baseline CrCl≤50mL/min. Risk of nephrotoxicity; monitor renal function. Diabetes. CHF. Hypertension. Obtain (–) pregnancy test before treatment for women of childbearing potential; use appropriate effective contraception during treatment. Discontinue at first signs of hypersensitivity reaction. Known hypersensitivity to vancomycin. Congenital long QT syndrome, uncompensated heart failure, severe left ventricular hypertrophy: avoid. Pregnancy (Cat.C): not recommended, may cause fetal harm. Nursing mothers.
Caution with other drugs that can cause QT prolongation. Increased risk of renal toxicity with NSAIDs, ACE inhibitors, loop diuretics. May interfere with coagulation tests (eg, PT/INR, aPPT, activated clotting time, coagulation-based factor Xa tests) and some urine protein tests.
Dysgeusia, nausea, vomiting, foamy urine; nephrotoxicity (reevaluate if occurs), infusion reactions ("red man syndrome"), superinfection (eg, antibiotic-associated colitis), QT prolongation, C.difficile-associated diarrhea.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders