Veterans & Military Issues
Meeting the Needs of a Vulnerable Population
The number and timing of follow-up psychotherapy visits may be inadequate to deliver evidence-based psychotherapy.
After one month of transcendental meditation, more than 80% of active-duty soldiers with PTSD had stabilized, reduced, or stopped taking meds.
Every significant increase in severity of a PTSD symptom was associated with a 40% increase in being at high risk for sleep apnea.
Almost 75% of soldiers with signs of PTSD also seemed to suffer from depression.
PTSD symptoms were the strongest predict of later disability in military personnel with mild traumatic brain injury.
Soldiers who underwent mindfulness training before deployment had fewer attentional lapses and less mind wandering.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy for insomnia reduced symptoms of insomnia and suicidal ideation in veterans.
Veterans who have both PTSD and traumatic brain injury have worse outcomes than those who have just one condition.
Service dogs can reduce PTSD symptoms, improve relationships, and reduce substance abuse in veterans.
The Department of Veterans Affairs will use IBM's Watson supercomputer to advise physicians on PTSD treatment for veterans.
An observational study of 2000 participants find that medical marijuana made PTSD symptoms worse and increased violent behavior.
More than 283,000 Vietnam combat veterans have symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses