Veterans & Military Issues
Meeting the Needs of a Vulnerable Population
The number and timing of follow-up psychotherapy visits may be inadequate to deliver evidence-based psychotherapy.
After one month of transcendental meditation, more than 80% of active-duty soldiers with PTSD had stabilized, reduced, or stopped taking meds.
Every significant increase in severity of a PTSD symptom was associated with a 40% increase in being at high risk for sleep apnea.
Almost 75% of soldiers with signs of PTSD also seemed to suffer from depression.
PTSD symptoms were the strongest predict of later disability in military personnel with mild traumatic brain injury.
Soldiers who underwent mindfulness training before deployment had fewer attentional lapses and less mind wandering.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy for insomnia reduced symptoms of insomnia and suicidal ideation in veterans.
Veterans who have both PTSD and traumatic brain injury have worse outcomes than those who have just one condition.
Service dogs can reduce PTSD symptoms, improve relationships, and reduce substance abuse in veterans.
The Department of Veterans Affairs will use IBM's Watson supercomputer to advise physicians on PTSD treatment for veterans.
An observational study of 2000 participants find that medical marijuana made PTSD symptoms worse and increased violent behavior.
More than 283,000 Vietnam combat veterans have symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder Associated With Impaired Family Functioning
- Valproate Use in Women Who Could Become Pregnant: The Argument for Informed Consent
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Sertraline Effective for Treating Depression in Vascular Cognitive Impairment
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Consensus Statement: Managing Bipolar Disorder During and After Pregnancy
- Verbal Memory Linked to Temporal Lobe Thickness in First-Degree Relatives of Those With Schizophrenia
- Associations Between Maternal Depression, Support, and Cognitive Development in Offspring
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Effects of the 2 Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism