VERELAN PM Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Verapamil HCl 100mg, 200mg, 300mg; controlled-onset ext-rel caps.
Indications for VERELAN PM:
Give once daily at bedtime. May sprinkle contents on applesauce; do not crush or chew contents. Initially 200mg; may titrate upwards in steps to 300mg, then 400mg if necessary. May start at 100mg in impaired renal or hepatic function, elderly or small patients.
Severe left ventricular (LV) dysfunction or LV dysfunction treated with β-blockers. Moderate to severe heart failure. Hypotension. Cardiogenic shock. Sick sinus syndrome, 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block, unless paced. Atrial flutter or fibrillation and an accessory bypass tract.
Control mild heart failure (eg, with digitalis, diuretics). AV conduction or neuromuscular transmission disorders. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Monitor liver function. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (diphenylalkylamine).
Potentiates alcohol, β-blockers, other antihypertensives, digitalis, ivabradine (avoid), theophylline, neuromuscular blockers, flecainide, carbamazepine, cyclosporine, doxorubicin. Potentiated by grapefruit juice. Avoid disopyramide; quinidine in cardiomyopathy. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin, ritonavir); antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin, phenobarbital). May potentiate statins; limit simvastatin dose to 10mg/day or lovastatin to 40mg/day. May need to reduce initial and maintenance dose for other CYP3A4 substrates (eg, atorvastatin). Inhalation anesthetics may potentiate cardiac depression. May increase bleeding with aspirin. Monitor theophylline, lithium levels. Monitor heart rate when concomitant clonidine.
Hypotension, edema, AV block, bradycardia, CHF, constipation, headache, dizziness, fatigue, dyspepsia, elevated hepatic enzymes, paralytic ileus.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth