Generic Name and Formulations:
Iloprost 10mcg/mL, 20mcg/mL; soln for inhalation using I-neb or Prodose AAD System; preservative-free.
Indications for VENTAVIS:
Pulmonary arterial hypertension (WHO Group I) in patients with NYHA Class III or IV symptoms to improve exercise ability and delay clinical worsening.
Initially 2.5mcg, if tolerated, uptitrate to 5micrograms 6–9 times daily based on tolerability (no more than every 2 hrs); max 45mcg/day. Monitor vital signs while initiating therapy. Hepatic impairment: consider increasing dosing interval (eg, 3–4 hours) between doses.
Do not start therapy if systolic BP <85 mmHg. Discontinue immediately if pulmonary edema occurs (may indicate pulmonary venous hypertension). Bleeding disorders. Avoid contact with eyes and skin, oral ingestion. COPD. Severe asthma. Acute pulmonary infections. Hepatic or renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates hypotensive effect of vasodilators and antihypertensives. May potentiate anticoagulants. Do not mix with other drugs.
Vasodilation, increased cough, headache, lockjaw, insomnia, GI upset, hypotension, flu syndrome, back pain, abnormal lab tests (eg, increased GGT, alkaline phosphatase), tongue pain, palpitations, syncope, muscle cramps, hemoptysis, pneumonia, CHF, chest pain, supraventricular tachycardia, dyspnea, peripheral edema, kidney failure.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth