Generic Name and Formulations:
Iloprost 10mcg/mL, 20mcg/mL; soln for inhalation using I-neb or Prodose AAD System; preservative-free.
Indications for VENTAVIS:
Pulmonary arterial hypertension (WHO Group I) in patients with NYHA Class III or IV symptoms to improve exercise ability and delay clinical worsening.
Initially 2.5mcg, if tolerated, uptitrate to 5micrograms 6–9 times daily based on tolerability (no more than every 2 hrs); max 45mcg/day. Monitor vital signs while initiating therapy. Hepatic impairment: consider increasing dosing interval (eg, 3–4 hours) between doses.
Do not start therapy if systolic BP <85 mmHg. Discontinue immediately if pulmonary edema occurs (may indicate pulmonary venous hypertension). Bleeding disorders. Avoid contact with eyes and skin, oral ingestion. COPD. Severe asthma. Acute pulmonary infections. Hepatic or renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates hypotensive effect of vasodilators and antihypertensives. May potentiate anticoagulants. Do not mix with other drugs.
Vasodilation, increased cough, headache, lockjaw, insomnia, GI upset, hypotension, flu syndrome, back pain, abnormal lab tests (eg, increased GGT, alkaline phosphatase), tongue pain, palpitations, syncope, muscle cramps, hemoptysis, pneumonia, CHF, chest pain, supraventricular tachycardia, dyspnea, peripheral edema, kidney failure.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition