Generic Name and Formulations:
Patiromer 8.4g, 16.8g, 25.2g; per pkt; pwd for oral susp.
Indications for VELTASSA:
Limitations Of use:
Not for emergency treatment for life-threatening hyperkalemia due to its delayed onset of action.
Give at least 3hrs before or 3hrs after other oral medications. Take with food. Initially 8.4g once daily. Adjust dose in 8.4g increments as needed at ≥1-week intervals to obtain desired serum potassium target range; max 25.2g/day.
Monitor serum potassium, magnesium. Consider magnesium supplementation if low serum levels develop. Severe constipation, bowel obstruction or impaction, abnormal post-op bowel motility disorders; avoid.
May reduce absorption and efficacy of other oral medications; separate dosing by at least 3hrs.
Constipation, hypomagnesemia, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal discomfort, flatulence.
Single-use packets (8.4g)—4, 30; (16.8g, 25.2g)—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer's
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users