VARIBAR NECTAR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Barium sulfate 40% w/v; oral susp; apple flavor; contains polysorbate 80.
Indications for VARIBAR NECTAR:
For use in modified barium swallow exams to evaluate the oral and pharyngeal function and morphology.
For oral use only. 5mL. May give multiple doses as needed during exam; max total dose: 30mL.
For oral use only. <6mos: 0.5–1mL; ≥6mos: 1–3mL. May give multiple doses as needed during exam; max total dose: 30mL.
Known or suspected GI tract perforation. Known GI obstruction. High risk of GI perforation (eg, recent prior perforation, acute GI hemorrhage or ischemia, toxic megacolon, severe ileus, post GI surgery or biopsy, acute GI injury/burn, recent pelvic radiotherapy). High risk of aspiration (eg, tracheoesophageal fistula or obtundation).
History of bronchial asthma, atopy, or food allergies. Hypersensitivity reactions: have emergency equipment readily available. Increased risk of intra-abdominal barium leakage with carcinomas, GI fistula, inflammatory bowel disease, gastric or duodenal ulcer, appendicitis, diverticulitis, severe GI stenosis. Increased risk of GI obstruction or baroliths with severe GI stenosis, impaired GI motility, electrolyte imbalance, dehydration, low residue diet, concomitant drugs that delay GI motility, constipation, pediatric cystic fibrosis or Hirschsprung disease, elderly. Maintain adequate hydration. Monitor for aspiration; discontinue if suspected. Monitor for potential intravasation.
Radiographic contrast medium.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping; aspiration pneumonitis, barium sulfate impaction, GI perforation, vasovagal and syncopal episodes, hypersensitivity reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Daily Drinking Associated With Increased Mortality Risk
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- High Risk for Anxiety, Depression, and Stress Observed Among Single Mothers
- Self-Harm, Suicidality Among Adolescents Associated With Poor Outcomes, Recurrent Clinical Care
- Moderate Association Between Sociocognitive Functioning and Thought Disorder in Schizophrenia
- Psychotropic Medications May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- Schizophrenia Polygenetic Risk Score as a Predictor of Bipolar Disorder With Psychosis