Generic Name and Formulations:
Hepatitis A vaccine, inactivated 25Units per 0.5mL (pediatric/adolescent), or 50Units per 1mL (adult); susp for IM inj; aluminum adsorbed; preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for VAQTA:
Hepatitis A immunization.
≥19 yrs: 1mL IM at elected date and booster dose (1mL IM) 6–18 months later.
<12 months: not recommended. 1–18 yrs: 0.5mL IM at elected date and booster dose (0.5mL IM) 6–18 months later.
Have epinephrine (1:1000) available. Latex allergy. Inject into deltoid muscle, preferably at least 2 weeks before expected exposure. If given with immune globulin, use separate syringe and different site. Fever. Malignancies. Immunocompromised (may have suboptimal response). Bleeding disorders. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressives may reduce efficacy. Concomitant vaccines, immune globulins: see literature.
Injection site reactions (esp. pain, tenderness), headache, fever, GI upset, myalgia, abdominal pain, rash, pharyngitis and other upper respiratory tract effects.
Prefilled syringes (0.5mL, 1mL)—1, 5; Single-dose vials (0.5mL)—1, 10; Single-dose vials (1mL)—1, 5, 10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation