Generic Name and Formulations:
Valrubicin 40mg/mL; soln for intravesical instillation after dilution; contains 50% polyoxyl castor oil/50% dehydrated alcohol; preservative-free.
Indications for VALSTAR:
Intravesical therapy of BCG-refractory carcinoma in situ (CIS) of the urinary bladder in patients for whom immediate cystectomy would be associated with unacceptable morbidity or mortality.
Drain bladder before instilliation. 800mg given intravesically via urethral catheter once weekly for 6 weeks. Retain drug for 2 hours before voiding, then void.
Concurrent UTI. Small bladder capacity (eg, unable to tolerate a 75mL instillation).
Monitor for disease recurrence or progression with cystoscopy, biopsy, and urine cytology every 3 months; if there is not a complete response of CIS to treatment after 3 months or if CIS recurs, cystectomy must be reconsidered. Severe irritable bladder symptoms. Perforated bladder. Bladder mucosa compromised. Delay administration for at least 2 weeks after transurethral resection and/or fulguration. Maintain adequate hydration. Pregnancy (Cat. C); avoid, both males and females should use effective birth control. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Bladder symptoms (eg, urinary frequency, dysuria, urinary urgency, spasm, hematuria, pain, incontinence, cystitis, nocturia, local burning, urethral pain, pelvic pain, UTI).
Single-use vials—4, 24
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition