Generic Name and Formulations:
Meropenem, vaborbactam 2g/vial (containing meropenem 1g + vaborbactam 1g); pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; sodium content 10.9mEq/vial; preservative-free.
Indications for VABOMERE:
Susceptible complicated urinary tract infections (cUTI) including pyelonephritis.
Give by IV infusion over 3hrs. ≥18yrs (eGFR ≥50mL/min/1.73m2): 4g every 8hrs. Renal impairment (eGFR 30–49mL/min/1.73m2): 2g every 8hrs; (eGFR 15–29mL/min/1.73m2): 2g every 12hrs; (eGFR <15mL/min/1.73m2): 1g every 12hrs. Give after hemodialysis session. All: treat for up to 14 days.
<18yrs: not established.
Previous hypersensitivity to penicillins, cephalosporins, other beta-lactams, or other allergens. Discontinue immediately if allergic reaction occurs. CNS disorders (eg, brain lesions, history of seizures). Bacterial meningitis. Renal impairment (thrombocytopenia possible). Reevaluate dose if focal tremors, myoclonus, or seizures occur. Discontinue if C. difficile-associated diarrhea suspected or confirmed. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Carbapenem + beta-lactamase inhibitor.
Concomitant valproic acid or divalproex sodium: not recommended; if use necessary, consider supplemental anticonvulsant. Potentiated by probenecid: not recommended.
Headache, phlebitis/infusion site reactions, diarrhea; serious hypersensitivity reactions, C. difficile-associated diarrhea, possible neuromotor impairment (eg, seizures, delirium, paresthesias), superinfection.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation