Generic Name and Formulations:
Alfuzosin (as HCl) 10mg; ext-rel tabs.
Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for UROXATRAL:
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
Limitations Of use:
Not for use in children or for the treatment of hypertension.
Swallow whole. Take immediately after same meal each day. 10mg once daily.
Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir). Moderate or severe hepatic insufficiency.
Not for use in women. Discontinue if angina develops or worsens. Severe renal insufficiency (CrCl <30mL/min). Hypotension. Mild hepatic impairment. History of QT interval prolongation. Exclude prostate cancer prior to initiation. Cataract surgery (intraoperative floppy iris syndrome possible). Pregnancy (Cat.B).
See Contraindications. Do not use with other α-blockers. Increased hypotension with concomitant nitrates, PDE5 inhibitors, other antihypertensives. Potentiates and is potentiated by cimetidine. Potentiates cardiovascular effects of atenolol. Caution with drugs that prolong QT interval.
Dizziness, upper respiratory tract infection, headache, fatigue; postural hypotension, syncope; rare: priapism.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice