Generic Name and Formulations:
Alfuzosin (as HCl) 10mg; ext-rel tabs.
Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for UROXATRAL:
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Limitations of use: not for use in children or for the treatment of hypertension.
Swallow whole. Take immediately after same meal each day. 10mg once daily.
Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir). Moderate or severe hepatic insufficiency.
Not for use in women. Discontinue if angina develops or worsens. Severe renal insufficiency (CrCl <30mL/min). Hypotension. Mild hepatic impairment. History of QT interval prolongation. Exclude prostate cancer prior to initiation. Cataract surgery (intraoperative floppy iris syndrome possible). Pregnancy (Cat.B).
See Contraindications. Do not use with other α-blockers. Increased hypotension with concomitant nitrates, PDE5 inhibitors, other antihypertensives. Potentiates and is potentiated by cimetidine. Potentiates cardiovascular effects of atenolol. Caution with drugs that prolong QT interval.
Dizziness, upper respiratory tract infection, headache, fatigue; postural hypotension, syncope; rare: priapism.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling