Generic Name and Formulations:
Potassium citrate 5mEq (540mg), 10mEq (1080mg), 15mEq (1620mg); tabs.
Mission Pharmacal Company
Indications for UROCIT-K:
Renal tubular acidosis with calcium stones. Hypocitraturic calcium oxalate nephrolithiasis. Uric acid lithiasis.
Take within 30 minutes of meals or bedtime snack. Adjust based on urinary citrate levels and/or pH. Urinary citrate <150mg/day: 30mEq twice daily or 20mEq 3 times daily. Urinary citrate >150mEq/day: 15mEq twice daily or 10mEq 3 times daily. Max 100mEq/day.
See literature. Hyperkalemia or predisposing conditions. GI narrowing or stricture, delayed gastric emptying or predisposing conditions. Peptic ulcer disease. UTI. Renal insufficiency (GFR <0.7mL/kg per minute).
Restrict salt intake and encourage high fluid intake. Discontinue if severe vomiting, GI pain or bleeding occurs and follow-up. Monitor 24 hour urinary citrate, urinary pH, serum electrolytes, CBC, ECG, at least every 4 months; discontinue if hyperkalemia, significant rise in serum creatinine, or significant fall in hematocrit or hemoglobin occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Contraindicated with potassium-sparing diuretics, anticholinergics, other drugs that slow GI motility. Monitor digoxin. May interfere with some urinary tract antibiotics. Caution with drugs that raise serum potassium.
Hyperkalemia, GI upset, irritation, bleeding.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents