Generic Name and Formulations:
Sevoflurane; volatile liq for inhalation.
Indications for ULTANE:
Induction and maintenance of general anesthesia for surgery.
Adults and Children:
Use sevoflurane calibrated vaporizer. Individualize. Surgical maintenance: usually 0.5–3% sevoflurane with or without nitrous oxide. May be administered with any type of anesthesia circuit. See full labeling for minimum alveolar concentration (MAC) values based on age.
Susceptibility to malignant hyperthermia. Sensitivity to halogenated agents.
To be administered only by those experienced in general anesthesia. Have intubation, artificial ventilation, oxygen and circulatory resuscitation available. Sevoflurane exposure >2 MAC hours at flow rates 1 to <2L/min and fresh gas flow rates <1L/min: not recommended. Renal insufficiency. Severe hepatic impairment. Monitor BP, hepatic and renal function, urine flow during treatment. Neuromuscular disease (eg, Duchenne muscular dystrophy). Susceptible to congenital long QT syndrome. Dessicated CO2 absorbents. Pediatric neurotoxicity risk with repeated or prolonged use. Elderly. Premature infants. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Concomitant KOH containing CO2 absorbents: not recommended. Hyperkalemia with succinylcholine. Potentiated by benzodiazepines, opioids, nitrous oxide. Potentiates neuromuscular blockers (eg, pancuronium, vecuronium, atracurium). Caution with concomitant drugs that prolong the QT interval.
Nausea, vomiting, agitation, somnolence, dizziness, increased salivation, tachycardia, bradycardia, hypotension, cough increased, laryngospasm, airway obstruction, breath holding, shivering, apnea, hypertension; malignant hyperthermia, perioperative hyperkalemia, renal injury (eg, glycosuria and proteinuria); rare: seizures (esp. children), post-op hepatic dysfunction, torsades de pointes, transient elevations in glucose, LFTs, WBC count.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation