TYLENOL w. CODEINE #4 CIII
Generic Name and Formulations:
Codeine phosphate 60mg, acetaminophen 300mg; tabs; contains sulfites.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for TYLENOL w. CODEINE #4:
Mild to moderately severe pain.
#3: 1–2 tabs every 4 hours. #4: 1 tab every 4 hours.
Post-op pain management in children who have undergone tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy.
Risk of respiratory depression and death related to ultra-rapid metabolizers of codeine (esp. in children in post-op tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy). Hepatotoxicity (w. acetaminophen >4g/day). Obstructive sleep apnea. Head injury. Increased intracranial pressure. Acute abdomen. Impaired renal, hepatic, thyroid, or adrenocortical function. GI or GU obstruction. Addison's disease. Asthma. Drug abusers. Sulfite sensitivity. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor and delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiation with alcohol, general anesthetics, tranquilizers (eg, chlordiazepoxide, sedative-hypnotics), other CNS depressants, MAOIs, tricyclic antidepressants, anticholinergics.
Opioid + analgesic.
Drowsiness, lightheadedness, dizziness, sedation, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, constipation, urinary retention, rash; overdosage: respiratory depression, hepatotoxicity.
#3—100, 1000; #4—100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders