Generic Name and Formulations:
Hepatitis A inactivated 720 ELISA Units (EL.U.), hepatitis B surface antigen (recombinant) 20mcg; per mL; susp for IM inj; aluminum adsorbed; contains trace amounts of thimerosal, formalin, neomycin, yeast protein.
Indications for TWINRIX:
Hepatitis A and hepatitis B immunization.
≥18yrs: 1 inj IM in deltoid area at 0-, 1-, and 6 months. Alternate 4-dose schedule: 1 inj IM in deltoid area at 0-, 7-, and 21 to 30-days followed by booster dose at month 12.
<18yrs: not recommended.
May defer in acute febrile illness or active infection. Bleeding disorders. Thrombocytopenia. Immunodeficiency: may get suboptimal response. Have epinephrine (1:1000) inj available. If given with immune globulin, use separate syringe and different site. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressives may reduce efficacy.
Inj site reactions, headache, fatigue, GI upset, fever.
Register pregnant patients exposed to Twinrix by calling (888) 452-9622. Report adverse events to VAERS by calling (800) 822-7967.
Single-dose vials—1, 10; Single-dose prefilled syringes—5
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases