Generic Name and Formulations:
Liothyronine (as sodium) 10mcg/mL; soln for IV inj.
Indications for TRIOSTAT:
Give with glucocorticoids. Allow 4–12 hours between doses. Initially 25–50mcg. Cardiovascular disease: initially 10–20mcg. Usual range: 65–100mcg daily. Change to oral therapy as soon as possible: start tabs at low dose and increase gradually; discontinue IV gradually.
Uncorrected adrenocortical insufficiency. Untreated thyrotoxicosis. Artificial rewarming.
Not for treatment of obesity. Cardiovascular disease, angina, elderly: initiate therapy at 10–20micrograms. Severe and prolonged hypothyroidism. Fluid therapy. Adrenocortical insufficiency. Pregnancy (Cat.A). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates digitalis toxicity, tricyclic antidepressants, sympathomimetics (e.g., anorectics). May increase risk of coronary insufficiency with vasopressors. Monitor oral anticoagulants, hypoglycemics. Estrogens affect thyroid function tests. May be potentiated by tricyclic antidepressants. Hypertension, tachycardia with ketamine.
Arrhythmia, tachycardia, cardiopulmonary arrest, hypotension, MI, angina, CHF, hypertension, twitching.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users