Generic Name and Formulations:
Liothyronine (as sodium) 10mcg/mL; soln for IV inj.
Par Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for TRIOSTAT:
Give with glucocorticoids. Allow 4–12 hours between doses. Initially 25–50mcg. Cardiovascular disease: initially 10–20mcg. Usual range: 65–100mcg daily. Change to oral therapy as soon as possible: start tabs at low dose and increase gradually; discontinue IV gradually.
Uncorrected adrenocortical insufficiency. Untreated thyrotoxicosis. Artificial rewarming.
Not for treatment of obesity for weight loss.
Ineffective for weight reduction in euthyroid patients. Not for treatment of infertility. Cardiovascular disease, angina, elderly: initiate therapy at 10–20micrograms. Severe and prolonged hypothyroidism. Fluid therapy. Adrenocortical insufficiency. Pregnancy (Cat.A). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates digitalis toxicity, tricyclic antidepressants, sympathomimetics (eg, anorectics). May increase risk of coronary insufficiency with vasopressors. Monitor oral anticoagulants, hypoglycemics. Estrogens affect thyroid function tests. May be potentiated by tricyclic antidepressants. Hypertension, tachycardia with ketamine.
Arrhythmia, tachycardia, cardiopulmonary arrest, hypotension, MI, angina, CHF, hypertension, twitching.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad