Generic Name and Formulations:
Trimethoprim 100mg, 200mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Trimethoprim:
Treatment of initial episodes of uncomplicated UTI due to susceptible strains (E. coli, P. mirabilis, K. pneumoniae, Enterobacter species, coagulase-negative Staphylococcus species, including S. saprophyticus).
Treat for 10 days. 100mg every 12 hours or 200mg every 24 hours. CrCl 15–30mL/min: 50mg every 12 hours. CrCl<15mL/min: not recommended.
Megaloblastic anemia due to folate deficiency.
May interfere with hematopoieses (esp. when given in large doses and/or prolonged periods). Obtain CBCs if signs of serious blood disorder develop, discontinue if significant reduction in any formed blood element is found. Possible folate deficiency. Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Folic acid inhibitor.
May potentiate phenytoin. May interfere with serum methotrexate assay, Jaffe alkaline picrate reaction assay for creatinine.
Rash, pruritus, GI upset, blood dyscrasias, hyperkalemia, hyponatremia, fever, increased BUN, serum creatinine; rare: aseptic meningitis, cholestatic jaundice, hypersensitivity reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Significant Rates of Major Depressive Disorder Found in Dementia
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- TBI Linked to Increased Suicide Risk
- Behavioral Executive Dysfunction Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease
- Factors That Predict Treatment Outcomes, Remission in Pediatric OCD