Trihexyphenidyl Tabs Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Trihexyphenidyl HCl 2mg, 5mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Trihexyphenidyl Tabs:
Adjunct in Parkinsonism. Drug-induced extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS).
Take with food. Give in 3–4 divided doses. Parkinsonism: 1mg on day 1, may increase by 2mg every 3–5 days; usual max 6–15mg/day. Concomitant levodopa: 3–6mg/day and reduce levodopa dose. EPS: 1mg on day 1; range 5–15mg/day.
Tardive dyskinesia. Narrow-angle glaucoma.
Cardiovascular, renal, or hepatic disorders. Hypertension. Psychosis. GI or GU obstruction. Exposure to extreme heat. Monitor intraocular pressure. Avoid abrupt cessation. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, CNS depressants. Antagonizes psychotropics. Additive anticholinergic effects with MAOIs. Paralytic ileus with phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants.
Anticholinergic and antihistaminic effects, confusion, anhidrosis, excitement, nausea, vomiting, angle-closure glaucoma, hallucinations, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, heat stroke, drowsiness.
Formerly known under the brand name Artane.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation