Generic Name and Formulations:
Fenofibrate 48mg, 145mg; tabs.
Indications for TRICOR:
Adjunct to diet in hypertriglyceridemia (Types IV and V), and to reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, apo B, and TG, and to increase HDL-C, in primary hypercholesterolemia and mixed dyslipidemia (Types IIa and IIb). Limitations of use: not shown to reduce coronary heart disease morbidity and mortality in a controlled trial of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Hypertriglyceridemia: 48–145mg/day, adjust at 4–8 week intervals. Hypercholesterolemia, dyslipidemia: 145mg/day. Renal impairment or elderly: initially 48mg/day. Discontinue if inadequate response after 2 months on max dose.
Hepatic dysfunction. Primary biliary cirrhosis. Severe renal dysfunction. Gallbladder disease.
Renal impairment. Monitor CBCs for first year; monitor liver function; discontinue if ALT (SGPT) levels >3xULN persist. Discontinue if markedly elevated CPK levels, myopathy, gallstones, hypersensitivity reactions, or severely depressed HDL-C levels occur (do not reinitiate). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid statins. Potentiates oral anticoagulants (monitor). Allow at least 1 hour before or 4–6 hours after bile acid sequestrants. Caution with immunosuppressants (eg, cyclosporine), colchicine, other nephrotoxic drugs.
Abnormal liver function tests, elevated CPK, rhinitis, myopathy, cholelithiasis, pancreatitis, increased serum creatinine, hypersensitivity reactions (may be severe), rash; rare: rhabdomyolysis, transient hematologic changes, blood dyscrasias.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation