Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentoxifylline 400mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for TRENTAL:
400mg three times daily with meals. Continue for at least 8 weeks. Digestive or CNS effects: lower dosage to 400mg twice daily; discontinue if side effects persist. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): 400mg once daily.
Recent cerebral or retinal hemorrhage. Methylxanthines intolerance (eg, caffeine, theophylline, theobromine).
Discontinue if anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reaction occurs. Monitor for bleeding including hematocrit, hemoglobin in patients with hemorrhagic risk factors (eg, recent surgery, peptic ulcer, cerebral and/or retinal bleeding). Renal or hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. May potentiate antihypertensives; monitor BP. Concomitant theophylline-containing drugs; monitor closely and adjust dose. Bleeding with concomitant NSAIDs, anticoagulants, or platelet aggregation inhibitors. Concomitant warfarin; monitor PT frequently. May be potentiated by strong CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, ciprofloxacin, fluvoxamine), cimetidine.
Hemorrheologic agent (xanthine).
GI upset, nausea, dyspepsia, flushing, agitation, headache, dizziness, insomnia, blurred vision.
Renal (primarily), fecal.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling