Generic Name and Formulations:
Triptorelin pamoate 3.75mg, 11.25mg, 22.5mg; lyophilized microgranules for IM inj after reconstitution; contains mannitol.
Indications for TRELSTAR :
Palliative treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
Give by IM inj in buttock. 3.75mg every 4 weeks, or 11.25mg every 12 weeks, or 22.5mg every 24 weeks.
Not for use in women. Must administer under physician supervision. Discontinue if hypersensitivity occurs. Initial transient increase in serum testosterone may result in worsening of signs/symptoms including bone pain, neuropathy, hematuria, or urethral/bladder obstruction. Spinal cord compression. Renal or hepatic impairment. Metastatic vertebral lesions. Upper or lower urinary tract obstruction. May prolong QT/QTc interval in patients with congenital long QT syndrome, CHF, frequent electrolyte abnormalities. Correct any electrolyte abnormalities; monitor ECGs and electrolytes periodically. Increased risk of diabetes, MI, sudden cardiac death, stroke; monitor blood glucose and/or HbA1c, and for signs/symptoms of cardiovascular disease. Measure serum testosterone periodically. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant hyperprolactinemic drugs: not recommended. Avoid concomitant drugs that are known to prolong the QT interval. May interfere with pituitary gonadotropic function tests.
Inj site reactions, hot flushes, skeletal pain, impotence, headache, leg edema/pain, erectile dysfunction, testicular atrophy; hyperglycemia.
Single-dose vial—1; MixJect system—1 (vial + vial adapter + prefilled syringe)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling