Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethionamide 250mg; tabs.
Indications for TRECATOR:
Adjunct in tuberculosis, when INH and rifampin are not appropriate.
Give with meals to minimize GI upset. Initially 250mg/day in 1–4 divided doses; titrate to highest tolerated dose (see full labeling). Usual range: 15–20mg/kg daily; max 1g/day.
Give with meals to minimize GI upset. 10–20mg/kg in 2–3 divided doses, or 15mg/kg once daily.
Severe hepatic impairment.
Confirm presence of susceptible bacterial infection before initiating therapy. Re-titrate when switching from Trecator SC sugar-coated tabs. Give with pyridoxine. Diabetes. Do baseline and periodic blood glucose levels, eye exams (including ophthalmoscopy). Monitor thyroid function. Obtain SGOT and SGPT before and monthly; suspend if levels increase. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid alcohol. Potentiates other antituberculars. Convulsions with cycloserine.
GI upset, abdominal pain, excessive salivation, metallic taste, stomatitis, anorexia, liver dysfunction, psychosis, drowsiness, dizziness, restlessness, headache, postural hypotension, hypoglycemia, gynecomastia, impotence, acne; rarely; peripheral/optic neuritis, visual disturbances, pellagra, thrombocytopenia.
Trecator tablets have been reformulated from a sugar-coated tablet to a film-coated tablet which may result in higher peak levels.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents