Traumatic Brain Injury
These data support the importance of TBI preventative measures and proper management strategies for subsequent dementia.
Isolated vomiting (vomiting without other predictors of traumatic brain injury [TBI] as defined by 3 high-quality clinical decision rules) was not associated with clinically important TBI or evidence of TBI on computed tomography scans among pediatric patients with head injury.
Veterans diagnosed with TBI don't use opioids very often.
In patients with comorbid depression and TBI, multi-Watt transcranial near-infrared light therapy is effective.
There is a strong link between CTE and American football.
Threat even higher when injury occurs in middle age, investigators say
These preliminary findings suggest that combined treatment with MAAT and methylphenidate can improve attention, episodic and working memory, and executive functioning following traumatic brain injury.
Approximately 80% of depressive episodes have their onset during the first six months following traumatic brain injury.
Athletes presenting with psychosomatic symptoms before a concussion may have a longer recovery period.
An association was found between comorbid psychiatric comorbidities and headaches among individuals with traumatic brain injury.
Study suggests statins may play a role in the development of new-onset depression.
Until more effort is put into preventing injury in the first place, psychiatrists will likely continue to be key players in the game.
Amyloid plaque similar to that seen in Alzheimer's was found in participants with TBI.
Athletes often deny symptoms and a concussion diagnosis may depend on others noticing that a player is "off."
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Psychopathology of Adults Affected by Pre- and Perinatal Factors, Family Functioning
- Anxiety: Feature of Late-Onset Dementia or Modifiable Risk Factor?
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- Concise Questionnaire Found Consistent, Reliable at Monitoring OCD
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- HIV Viral Suppression Rates in Psychiatric Inpatients With Comorbid Substance Use Disorders
- Greater Wealth Associated With Lower Risk for Dementia in English Study
- Social Hygiene: Screening for Social Media Addiction in Adolescent Patients
- Effects of Depressive Symptoms on Cognition, Markers of Brain Aging
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look