Tolmetin 400mg Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tolmetin sodium 400mg; caps; contains sodium 36mg/cap.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Tolmetin 400mg:
Relief of signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Treatment of acute flares and the long-term management of the chronic disease. Treatment of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.
Initially 400mg 3 times daily. Maintenance: 600–1800mg daily in divided doses; max 1800mg/day.
<2yrs: not recommended. ≥2yrs: Initially 20mg/kg/day in divided doses (3–4 times daily). Maintenance: usual dose range: 15–30mg/kg/day; max 30mg/kg/day.
Aspirin allergy. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
Advanced renal disease: not recommended. Hypertension; monitor. CHF. Edema. Asthma. History of ulcer disease or GI bleeding. Bleeding disorders. Dehydration. Monitor blood, hepatic, and renal function in chronic use. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat. C: <30 weeks gestation; Cat. D: ≥30 weeks gestation: avoid). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid aspirin. May antagonize ACE inhibitors, diuretics. Increased risk of GI bleed with oral corticosteroids, anticoagulants (monitor), alcohol, smoking. Methotrexate excretion reduced. Increases lithium levels.
GI upset, abdominal pain, dyspepsia, flatulence, headache, asthenia, elevated BP, edema, dizziness, weight gain, weight loss; rash (discontinue if occurs), GI ulcer/bleed, elevated liver enzymes (discontinue if hepatotoxicity develops), blood dyscrasias, renal papillary necrosis. See literature re: risk of cardiovascular events.
Formerly known under the brand name Tolectin DS.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth