Tobacco Use Disorder
Despite the recognition that early daily tobacco use likely increases the risk for later psychosis, investigation of the effect of covariates such as substance use, existing psychotic features, or parental/family factors was lacking in the literature.
There has been much variability in the capacity for pharmacological treatments to help curb alcoholism, and the research community has remained interested in determining specific factors that may predict the efficacy of treatments such as naltrexone.
Varenicline may have a role in the treatment of alcohol use disorder in men who smoke cigarettes.
In the US today, about 20% of adults use any type of tobacco product.
Researchers identified a DNA variant—located in the DNMT3B gene—that increases likelihood of nicotine dependence. The variant is commonly found in people of European and African descent. The discovery could create possibilities into new research for nicotine addiction treatments.
Factors including economics, environment, and demographic and social factors might put rural residents at a higher risk of these preventable causes of death.
The US Food and Drug Administration has determined that varenicline and bupropion pose a lower risk of serious mental health side effects than was previously thought.
Compared with men who never used tobacco, those who used snus but did not smoke had a 24% higher risk of death from prostate cancer.
Researchers find heavy users have lower bone density than cigarette smokers.
Cigarette smoking prevalence among persons with severe mental illness is approximately 3 times greater than the rate observed in the general population.
Maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy has previously been linked with numerous long-term neurodevelopmental abnormalities and child behavioral problems.
Varenicline is approved by the FDA for use as a smoking cessation aid.
Researchers analyzed smoking behavior of 1 470 veterans who enrolled in the SmokefreeVET tobacco cessation program between 2013 and 2014.
At 12 months, researchers found a significant association between smoking reduction and suicidality.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
The rate of cigarette smoking and premarital sex is down, however, as is soda consumption and illegal use of prescription drugs.
Approximately 30% of users exhibit signs of marijuana abuse or dependence.
Nicotine exposure during pregnancy through cigarette smoking is associated with schizophrenia in offspring.
New rules would halt the sale of e-cigarettes and any other tobacco product to anyone younger than 18.
More than 1.8 million smokers have attempted to quit smoking as a result of the 2014 ad campaign.
Stopping over time is less effective, British researchers say.
Researchers detected benzaldehyde in 108 of 145 products analyzed.
Nicotine-dependent smokers who began smoking in the 1980s were more likely than older smokers to have a psychiatric condition, such as bipolar disorder, antisocial personality disorder, or ADHD.
Found more likely to smoke, drink, and use illegal drugs and steroids.
Recent data suggests a lower chance of smoking cession for individuals using electronic cigarettes.
About 4% of Americans are currently battling a substance-use disorder.
Smoking cessation demonstrated the strongest association with improving depression after heart attack.
Participants who had used substances such as synthetic marijuana or bath salts were also more likely to have used illicit drugs.
Although questionable research sidelined psychedelic research decades ago, recent studies indicate they may be useful as a therapy for psychiatric disorders.
Patients who stopped smoking within a year of having a heart attack reported mental health levels on par with those who never smoked.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders