"Pod mods," which are small, rechargeable devices that aerosolize liquid solutions containing nicotine encapsulated in cartridges, pose a danger to adolescent users.
Future public health interventions developed for cigarette use must accommodate individuals with mental health and substance use disorders.
Calling the use of electronic cigarettes a burgeoning epidemic among teens, the FDA announced a crackdown on the sale of Juuls and other flavored e-cigarette devices to minors.
Nationwide initiatives to decrease cigarette smoking prevalence have not accommodated individuals with mental health or substance use disorders.
Non-smoking adolescents with tobacco smoke exposure have increased risk for TSE-related symptoms.
Teenagers' use of any tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes, is associated with subsequent marijuana use.
The AMA has adopted several policies to improve the regulation of tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes.
There was a large increase in sales of electronic cigarettes and related products in the United States in recent years as their prices fell.
Electronic cigarette use is most common among current smokers.
There have been substantial increases in complete abstinence from substance use reported by high school students over the past 40 years.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- Anatomical Patterns Present in Childhood ADHD May Predict Phenotypic Variation
- History of ADHD Associated With Increased Risk for Basal Ganglia and Cerebellum Disorders
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- Psychotropic Medications May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Institutional Rearing Associated With Psychopathology Risk in Children
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Screening: Recommendations and Controversies
- Few Seniors Who Self-Harm Referred for Mental Health Care
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Vortioxetine Beats Escitalopram in Improving SSRI-Induced Sexual Dysfunction