Adolescents are increasingly using e-cigarette products such as pod-based systems but have misperceptions and lack of knowledge about these products.
"Pod mods," which are small, rechargeable devices that aerosolize liquid solutions containing nicotine encapsulated in cartridges, pose a danger to adolescent users.
Future public health interventions developed for cigarette use must accommodate individuals with mental health and substance use disorders.
Calling the use of electronic cigarettes a burgeoning epidemic among teens, the FDA announced a crackdown on the sale of Juuls and other flavored e-cigarette devices to minors.
Nationwide initiatives to decrease cigarette smoking prevalence have not accommodated individuals with mental health or substance use disorders.
Non-smoking adolescents with tobacco smoke exposure have increased risk for TSE-related symptoms.
Teenagers' use of any tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes, is associated with subsequent marijuana use.
The AMA has adopted several policies to improve the regulation of tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes.
There was a large increase in sales of electronic cigarettes and related products in the United States in recent years as their prices fell.
Electronic cigarette use is most common among current smokers.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Role of Expressed Emotion in Family Psychopathology
- Serum Uric Acid May Predict Bipolar Disorder in Patients With Depression
- Group Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Is Effective Treatment for Adolescent Anxiety
- Health and Social Factors Predict Changes in Depressive Symptoms in Women
- ASD Risk on Offspring With Prenatal Use of Medication Affecting Neurotransmitter System
- Cannabis Use, Cannabis Use Disorder Linked to Psychotic, Depressive Symptoms
- Association Between Opioid and Benzodiazepine Misuse and Suicidal Ideation
- The Intersection of Eating and Alcohol Disorders: Detecting and Managing "Drunkorexia"
- Heart Rate Variability Predicts Treatment Response in Anxious Depression
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Psychotic Experiences May Predict Future Suicidal Behaviors
- Genetic Analysis Shows Higher BMI May Increase Risk for Depression
- Abstinence From Regular Cannabis Use Improves Memory Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- Effects of Mindfulness Meditation on Mood in Middle-Age, Older Adults
- How Does Accepting Blame Affect Future Medical Errors?