Generic Name and Formulations:
Timolol maleate 0.25%, 0.5%; oph gel forming soln.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for TIMOPTIC-XE:
Elevated intraocular pressure in ocular hypertension or open-angle glaucoma.
Adults and Children:
<2yrs: not established. Invert closed bottle and shake once before each use. ≥2yrs: 1 drop once daily. Give other oph. drugs at least 10 minutes before.
Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Uncompensated cardiac failure. Cardiogenic shock. Sinus bradycardia. History of bronchospasm. Bronchial asthma. Severe COPD.
Not for use as sole agent in angle-closure glaucoma. Poor cardiac reserve should be controlled with digitalis and diuretics. Diabetes. Presbyopia. May mask hypoglycemia or thyrotoxicosis. Myasthenia gravis. Cerebrovascular insufficiency. Measure intraocular pressure after 4 weeks of treatment. Avoid abrupt cessation. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure and before surgery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate systemic β-blockers, reserpine, hypoglycemics and mydriatic effect of topical epinephrine. Additive cardiac and pulmonary effects with anticholinesterase miotics. May antagonize bronchodilation from β-adrenergic agonists. May cause conduction defects with calcium channel blockers, digoxin. May be potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, SSRIs).
Ocular irritation, sensitization, rash, dizziness, blurred vision, corneal anesthesia, headache, GI upset, paresthesias. Systemic β-blocker effects (bradycardia, arrhythmias, hypotension, bronchospasm, heart failure). Aphakic maculopathy (rare).
Soln—contact supplier; Ocudose—60; XE—2.5mL, 5mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Atypical Symptom Presentations in Pediatric OCD
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Light Therapy Effective for Older Adults with Nonseasonal Depression
- AMA Adopts Policy on Augmented Intelligence
- Parental Belief in Religion Lowers Child Suicide Risk
- Appetitive Symptoms, Fluoxetine, and Light Therapy: Predicting Treatment Response for Nonseasonal Major Depression
- Bipolar Disorder Patients Benefit From Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality