Generic Name and Formulations:
Ticarcillin (as disodium) 3g, clavulanate (as potassium) 0.1g; IV inj; sodium content 4.75mEq/g of ticarcillin; potassium content 0.15mEq/g of Timentin.
Indications for TIMENTIN:
Susceptible bacterial septicemia (adults only), lower respiratory, bone and joint, skin and skin structure, urinary tract, gynecologic and intraabdominal infections.
By IV infusion over 30 minutes. >60kg: Systemic and UTI: 3.1g every 4–6 hours. Gynecologic: moderate: 200mg/kg/day of ticarcillin in divided doses every 6 hours; severe: 300mg/kg/day in divided doses every 4 hours. <60kg: 200–300mg/kg/day in divided doses every 4–6 hours. Renal impairment: reduce dose; see literature.
<3months: not recommended. Give by IV infusion over 30 minutes. ≥3months: (<60kg): mild-to-moderate infections: 200mg/kg per day of ticarcillin in equal divided doses every 6 hrs: severe infections: 300mg/kg per day of ticarcillin in equal divided doses every 4 hours. ≥3months (≥60kg): mild-to-moderate infections: 3.1g every 6 hrs; severe infections: 3.1g every 4 hours. Renal impairment: reduce dose; see literature.
Cephalosporin, imipenem or other allergy. Not for use in children for septicemia or H. influenzae type b infections. Heart disease. Sodium restricted diets. Monitor serum electrolytes (esp. potassium) and renal, hepatic, hematopoietic function during prolonged therapy. Discontinue if bleeding problems occur and treat. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Antipseudomonal penicillin + β-lactamase inhibitor.
Probenecid increases ticarcillin levels. May cause false (+) Coomb's test.
Inj site reactions, rash, pruritus, drug fever, GI upset, blood dyscrasias, hemorrhage, hypokalemia, superinfection, anaphylaxis, CNS stimulation, elevated liver enzymes.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad