Generic Name and Formulations:
Trimethobenzamide HCl 300mg; caps.
Indications for TIGAN:
Treatment of post-op or gastroenteritis-associated nausea and vomiting.
Use lowest effective dose. 300mg 3–4 times daily. Elderly or renal impairment (CrCl <70mL/min/1.73m2): reduce dose by increasing the dosing interval.
Acute dystonic reactions. Extrapyramidal symptoms. May mask other serious disorders (eg, encephalopathy, metabolic imbalance). Children (Reye's syndrome). Monitor for hepatic impairment; discontinue if occurs. Renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by alcohol (avoid), other CNS depressants (eg, sedatives, hypnotics, opiates, anxiolytics, antipsychotics, anticholinergics); monitor.
Parkinson-like symptoms, drowsiness, blood dyscrasias, blurred vision, coma, seizures, depression, diarrhea, disorientation, dizziness, jaundice, hypotension (inj), headache, muscle cramps, opisthotonos; hepatotoxicity, hypersensitivity reactions.
Caps—100; Single-use vials (2mL)—25; Multi-dose vial (20mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling