THYROLAR 1 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Liotrix (contains liothyronine sodium (T3) 12.5mcg and levothyroxine sodium (T4) 50mcg); tabs.
Indications for THYROLAR 1:
Hypothyroidism: initially one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 daily (long-standing myxedema: initially one tab of Thyrolar 1/4 daily); increase by one tab of Thyrolar 1/4 every 2–3 weeks; usual maintenance: one tab of Thyrolar 1 to one tab of Thyrolar 2 daily. Myxedema coma: see literature.
Hypothyroidism: <6months: one tab of Thyrolar 1/4 to one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 daily. 6–12months: one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 to one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 + one tab of Thyrolar 1/4 daily; 1–5yrs: one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 + one tab of Thyrolar 1/4 to one tab of Thyrolar 1 daily; 6–12yrs: one tab of Thyrolar 1 to one tab of Thyrolar 1 + one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 daily; >12yrs: more than one tab of Thyrolar 1 + one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 daily.
Uncorrected adrenocortical insufficiency. Untreated thyrotoxicosis.
Not for treatment of obesity. Cardiovascular disease, angina, elderly: use lower initial dose. Adrenocortical insufficiency. Monitor for craniosynostosis in infants. Pregnancy (Cat. A). Nursing mothers.
Monitor oral anticoagulants, hypoglycemics. Estrogens affect thyroid function tests. Toxicity with larger doses of sympathomimetics (e.g., anorectics).
T3 and T4 (synthetic).
Hyperthyroidism; transient hair loss in children.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer's
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations