Generic Name and Formulations:
Thioguanine 40mg; tabs; scored.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Thioguanine:
Remission induction and remission consolidation treatment of acute nonlymphocytic leukemias. Treatment of the chronic phase of chronic myelogenous leukemia (see full labeling).
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Initially, 2mg/kg per day. If, after 4 weeks, with no improvement, no leukocyte or platelet depression, may increase to 3mg/kg per day. Total daily dose may be given at one time.
Allergy to mercaptopurine.
Not recommended for maintenance therapy or long-term continuous treatments; increased risk of liver toxicity (discontinue if occurs). Pre-existing liver disease. Monitor liver function tests weekly at start of therapy, then monthly thereafter. Thiopurine S-methyltransferase (TPMT) or nucleotide diphosphatase (NUDT15) deficiency (may need to reduce dose to avoid severe bone marrow suppression); consider testing for TPMT and NUDT15 deficiency. Obtain hemoglobin, hematocrit, WBCs with differential, platelets frequently during therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid live vaccines (if immunocompromised). Caution with drugs that inhibit TPMT (eg, olsalazine, mesalazine, or sulphasalazine).
Myelosuppression, hyperuricemia, GI upset, anorexia, stomatitis, hepatotoxicity, elevated liver enzymes, jaundice (discontinue if occurs).
Formerly known under the brand name Tabloid.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Distinct Characteristics in Children at Risk for Schizophrenia vs Bipolar Disorder
- Nonstimulants May Be an Appropriate Alternative to Stimulants for Treating ADHD
- Psychotic Experiences Associated With Increased Risk for Eating Disorders in Adolescents
- Novel Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Targets Preschool-Aged Depression
- Remission of Treatment-Resistant Depression in Veterans Depends on Close Clinical Observation
- Medical Clearance of Psych Patients in the ED: Consensus Recommendations
- From Abused Child to Serial Killer: Investigating Nature vs Nurture in Methods of Murder
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Effective in Reducing Suicide Attempts, Self-Harm in Adolescents
- Should Physicians Treat Family and Friends? Three Experts Weigh In
- Therapy Focusing on Mindfulness, Interoception Improves Outcomes for Women With Substance Use Disorder
- Exposure to Antidepressants in Utero May Affect Childhood Motor Development
- Gender, MAOA Genotype, and History of Child Abuse Predict Tobacco and Cannabis Use
- Effect of Long-Term Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate for Major Depressive Disorder
- 5-Factor Brief Negative Symptom Scale Validation in Schizophrenia