Generic Name and Formulations:
Theophylline 100mg, 200mg, 300mg, 400mg; ext-rel caps.
Indications for THEO-24:
Asthma. Chronic bronchitis. Emphysema.
See literature. Swallow whole. Stabilized patients may be switched from immediate-release or controlled-release product to once- or twice-daily dosing with Theo-24 on a mg/mg basis. Do not take within 1 hour of fatty food if on high dose. Max without serum level monitoring: 12–15years: 16mg/kg (max 400mg) per day; ≥16years: 400mg/day.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack. Active peptic ulcer. Arrhythmias. Seizure disorders. Hepatic dysfunction. CHF. Acute pulmonary edema. Cor pulmonale. Hypothyroidism. Fever. Sepsis. Shock. Monitor serum levels; do not try to maintain non-tolerated doses. Rapid metabolizers. Infants (<3 months of age) with reduced renal function. Neonates. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See literature. Smokers have increased metabolism. Potentiated by quinolones, macrolides, enoxacin, cimetidine, alcohol, allopurinol, estrogen oral contraceptives, tacrine, interferon alpha, disulfiram, fluvoxamine, verapamil, mexiletine, methotrexate, pentoxifylline, propafenone, ticlopidine, thiabenazole. Antagonized by phenytoin, rifampin, barbiturates, carbamazepine, aminogluthethimide, moricizine, St. John's wort, isoproterenol, sulfinpyrazone. Avoid β-blockers. Antagonizes lithium, benzodiazepines, pancuronium, adenosine. Toxicity with sympathomimetics. Seizures with ketamine. Arrhythmias with halothane.
GI upset, headache, CNS stimulation, diuresis, arrhythmias, seizures.
Caps 100mg, 400mg—100; 200mg, 300mg—100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth