Generic Name and Formulations:
Theophylline 100mg, 200mg, 300mg, 400mg; ext-rel caps.
Indications for THEO-24:
Asthma. Chronic bronchitis. Emphysema.
See literature. Swallow whole. Stabilized patients may be switched from immediate-release or controlled-release product to once- or twice-daily dosing with Theo-24 on a mg/mg basis. Do not take within 1 hour of fatty food if on high dose. Max without serum level monitoring: 12–15years: 16mg/kg (max 400mg) per day; ≥16years: 400mg/day.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack. Active peptic ulcer. Arrhythmias. Seizure disorders. Hepatic dysfunction. CHF. Acute pulmonary edema. Cor pulmonale. Hypothyroidism. Fever. Sepsis. Shock. Monitor serum levels; do not try to maintain non-tolerated doses. Rapid metabolizers. Infants (<3 months of age) with reduced renal function. Neonates. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See literature. Smokers have increased metabolism. Potentiated by quinolones, macrolides, enoxacin, cimetidine, alcohol, allopurinol, estrogen oral contraceptives, tacrine, interferon alpha, disulfiram, fluvoxamine, verapamil, mexiletine, methotrexate, pentoxifylline, propafenone, ticlopidine, thiabenazole. Antagonized by phenytoin, rifampin, barbiturates, carbamazepine, aminogluthethimide, moricizine, St. John's wort, isoproterenol, sulfinpyrazone. Avoid β-blockers. Antagonizes lithium, benzodiazepines, pancuronium, adenosine. Toxicity with sympathomimetics. Seizures with ketamine. Arrhythmias with halothane.
GI upset, headache, CNS stimulation, diuresis, arrhythmias, seizures.
Caps 100mg, 400mg—100; 200mg, 300mg—100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation