TETANUS TOXOID BOOSTER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus toxoid booster vaccine; for IM or SC inj; contains thimerosal.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for TETANUS TOXOID BOOSTER:
Tetanus immunization booster.
Adults and Children:
<7yrs: not recommended. Give IM or SC in lateral mid-thigh or deltoid. ≥7yrs: After completion of primary immunization: 0.5mL every 10 years. Tetanus prophylaxis: see literature.
Not for primary immunization. History of systemic allergic or neurologic reactions to a previous dose of DT.
Latex allergy. Previous arthus-type hypersensitivity reaction: do not give more frequently than every 10 years. Defer in moderate or severe active respiratory or other febrile infection (may vaccinate if mild or minor illness) or during polio outbreak. Bleeding disorders (use SC route). Immunosuppressed. History of Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of last tetanus vaccine. Have epinephrine (1:1000) available. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May get suboptimal response with immunosuppressants (eg, chemotherapy, high dose corticosteroids ≥2 weeks, radiation); consider deferring.
Local reactions (eg, erythema, tenderness), malaise, fever, hypotension, pain, nausea, arthralgia; rare: neurological disorders.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders