TETANUS AND DIPHTHERIA TOXOIDS ADSORBED Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids; aluminum adsorbed; susp for IM inj; contains residual formaldehyde, thimerosal (trace); latex-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for TETANUS AND DIPHTHERIA TOXOIDS ADSORBED:
Tetanus and diphtheria immunization in patients ≥7yrs.
Adults and Children:
<7yrs: not recommended. ≥7yrs: Give IM in deltoid muscle. Previously unvaccinated: three 0.5mL doses at elected date, then 4–8 weeks after first dose, and 6–12 months after second dose. Give booster dose at 11–12yrs of age if last dose of tetanus and diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccine was given ≥5yrs ago. Other: give booster every 10yrs. Diphtheria and tetanus prophylaxis: see full labeling.
Anaphylaxis associated with a previous dose.
Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous tetanus toxoid vaccine. Previous Arthus-type hypersensitivity reaction: not recommended until ≥10yrs after prior dose of tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine. Immunodeficiency. Have epinephrine (1:1000) available. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: see full labeling. Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions (eg, erythema, tenderness), dizziness, headache, myalgia, fever; rare: neurological disorders.
Formerly known under the brand name Decavac.
Single-dose vials (0.5mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users