Generic Name and Formulations:
Atenolol, chlorthalidone; 50mg/25mg+, 100mg/25mg; tabs; (+) scored.
Indications for TENORETIC:
Switching from monotherapy: initially one 50mg/25mg tab daily; may increase to one 100mg/25mg tab daily. CrCl 15–35mL/minute: max 50mg atenolol/day. CrCl <15mL/minute: max 50mg atenolol every other day.
Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Overt heart failure. Cardiogenic shock. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.D).
Heart failure. Bronchospastic disease. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. SLE. Gout. Diabetes. Asthma. Hyperthyroidism. Hypokalemia. Surgery. Postsympathectomy. Peripheral circulatory disorders. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor electrolytes. Excessive diuresis. Potassium supplementation may be needed. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Cardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
May potentiate hypotension with prazosin, alcohol, catecholamine-depleting drugs, CNS depressants. May increase toxicity of diazoxide, digitalis, lithium. Conduction abnormalities, bradycardia, heart block with calcium channel blockers (esp. verapamil, diltiazem). Adjust antidiabetic medications. Increased rebound hypertension with clonidine withdrawal. May block epinephrine. May increase responsiveness to tubocurarine. ACTH, steroids, amphotericin B increase risk of hypokalemia.
Heart failure, bronchospasm, bradycardia, heart block, dizziness, fatigue, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, hyperuricemia, orthostatic hypotension, GI upset, cold extremities.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation