Generic Name and Formulations:
Atenolol, chlorthalidone; 50mg/25mg+, 100mg/25mg; tabs; (+) scored.
Indications for TENORETIC:
Switching from monotherapy: initially one 50mg/25mg tab daily; may increase to one 100mg/25mg tab daily. CrCl 15–35mL/minute: max 50mg atenolol/day. CrCl <15mL/minute: max 50mg atenolol every other day.
Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Overt heart failure. Cardiogenic shock. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.D).
Heart failure. Bronchospastic disease. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. SLE. Gout. Diabetes. Asthma. Hyperthyroidism. Hypokalemia. Surgery. Postsympathectomy. Peripheral circulatory disorders. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor electrolytes. Excessive diuresis. Potassium supplementation may be needed. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Cardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
May potentiate hypotension with prazosin, alcohol, catecholamine-depleting drugs, CNS depressants. May increase toxicity of diazoxide, digitalis, lithium. Conduction abnormalities, bradycardia, heart block with calcium channel blockers (esp. verapamil, diltiazem). Adjust antidiabetic medications. Increased rebound hypertension with clonidine withdrawal. May block epinephrine. May increase responsiveness to tubocurarine. ACTH, steroids, amphotericin B increase risk of hypokalemia.
Heart failure, bronchospasm, bradycardia, heart block, dizziness, fatigue, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, hyperuricemia, orthostatic hypotension, GI upset, cold extremities.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth